Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

How it happened

Hi, my name is Dora but my friends call me Dee. I was born in July of 1982 to my loving parents Charlie and Popi. At birth I weighed in over 10lbs... and this is my weight gain story.
I was always a big kid for my age but very active. I remember my family members telling my parents oh don't worry she's a kid she'll grow out of being fat. Ya right!
I have four other sisters and I fit right in the middle. Most of my family is overweight or has weight issues, diabetes, and cholesterol and heart conditions. My parents come from a small island in the Middle East called Cyprus. We speak a dialect of Greek with a mix of Arabic words as well. We're right in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea. My parents immigrated to Canada when they were young, met here in Toronto, got married and started a big FAT Greek family.
Growing up I was always the big kid in class. Always being picked on, laughed at and teased no matter how much I tried to fit in. Throughout my elementary school days I slowly gained more and more weight. I remember in grade 3 my teacher Ms. Lee put us all on the scale and I actually weighed more than she did. Ugh! I remember the kids laughing, whispering in each other’s ears and staring at me. I’ll never forget that... I guess this is the reason why scales haunt me.
In Junior high school I kept active with involving myself in volleyball, baseball, basketball and track and field (well shot put).  Still I kept on getting teased. Even though looking back now I would kill to be that weight and be completely satisfied... I was never accepted.
In high school life sucked! I hated high school with a passion and managed to successfully fast forward through it by taking additional classes on the weekends and in the summer.  The first few years though I joined basketball, volleyball and baseball teams and was pretty good at it... that was until the comments of me shaking the ground when I ran... I remember a kid yelling out “EARTHQUAKE!!”  and everyone laughing.
I think that this is what turned me off of sports and I was embarrassed by even attempting to play.  The weight started to climb higher and higher so I decided to join the gym.  Well this is where the yo-yo dieting starts.  Jenny Craig, Weight watchers, doctor after doctor, weight loss pills and the list goes on.
After high school I went straight to work.  I picked up smoking, and the weight just increased more and more. I met my ex husband Dan, got comfortable with him and looking back now I think I just let myself go.  I found myself eating more and more and running to food when I was depressed, anxious or just plain bored. My ex and I separated in 2008 after almost 3 years of marriage. My weight increased as I fell into a deep depression. I suffered from depression on my own and really didn’t tell anyone about it. My weight kept heading up and up and sometimes I had the motivation to do something about it. When I would do something about my weight I’d be very successful until I hit a plateau and would get so upset about it I would start my habits again. Then I would start gaining everything I had lost and then some.  So here I am now at my wits end.... the chapter to an old life I knew so well is coming to an end and I can’t wait to start on my life’s new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment